Friday, September 22, 2006

Redefining “Strange”

An experience that made me realize strange is a relative term which can also mean usual or conventional. The event that triggered my senses and enthralled my curiosity was my visit to one of the San Francisco’s long lasting nightlife traditions. I am a person who loves shadiness and more over enjoys it as an observer. My fondness to nightlife is quite evident from my previous blogs but still want to reiterate on that point again on this one too.

It was one of those perfect nights in the San Francisco downtown with heavy music banging the alleys, mild breeze dancing to those tunes and slight chillness starting to creep on our body. Clock has ticked away past midnight. We could see the line for this institution starting to grow like a new born ant colony. No need to say, it is the most diverse crowd I have ever seen in my life which is totally unpretentious and extremely sociable.

Once we got in, it was a whole new universe. Black walls, dark curtains, dim red lights, fire places and groovy electroclash and new age music. The world seemed to be much more darker than I believed in and much more mysterious. It has a large tropical style patio with a water fall and benches to relax where people made their own private world. Red and blue lights started flashing into the darkness and people were dancing in a state of ecstasy. Tranny’s, gays, straights, Asians, South East Asians, Hispanics, White, Caribbean, Black and the mixes we cannot even make out. I could see all the species and sub species of human beings which mother god has created. People who express there fetishes, people who were trying to explore their identity, souls that are lost in evolution, people who can be outcast in the daylight.

The vibe was interesting and I found it cool. A mix that can never discriminate among them selves and hence so unique. Some people were what we call socially elite and some of them were having outfits to express their personality. People wearing chains, tattoos and having multiple piercing, long hairs, weird scars and couple of them with BDSM outfits.

We also danced the night away careless. Before the clock hit the morning, the night crawlers started to flow into this place, there favorite den for years. Most of the people knew each other. We could see some guys dancing together with a grace that we can hardly see when girls dance. One of the bouncers told me that they are the go-go dancers for last 10 years. The place had that kind of reputation and a long list of patrons. A tradition that is been going on for last 43 years. This looked to me like the starting of a neo urban culture, which is growing by leaps and bounds into the society. They may be a niche culture today, but I am sure their prominence will be seen across the globe.

I am glad I could see another part of this world before I leave this precious small life. Something that is enlightening in a way, something that was only heard about, and definitely something that can be enjoyed only when experienced.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

Hi Shajan,
It was nice to read it..
"I am glad I could see another part of this world before I leave this precious small life" ! It was nice to see ur approach to life and the way u appriciate the small things..

4:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home